About Me

My photo
see where we are at: http://blog.mailasail.com/jon.longfield

Saturday 16 April 2011

Fishing


Yesterday I said to the chap in the chandlers that I wanted a lure that wouldn’t catch barracuda and he burst out laughing as I gave him a demonstration of how you hold a ten kilo fish at arms length and deliver the coups de gras with the “fish billy”, aluminium baseball bat that Tom so thoughtfully provided.  He laughed a lot pretending to be a fish trying to bit my leg off and said “dem is de sweetest fish!”

Anyway we set out from Antigua bound for Nevis and soon passed the 20 meter mark, the point at which the barracuda stay at home and I lobbed the brand new $EC 40 lure out and settled down to the 8 hour trip to Nevis (pronounced NEEVIS).  The next thing that entered my mind was the ferry which was approaching from the left, and as all sailors know that meant it was my right of way (even without sails) and we were sailing so it was double my right of way. The boat was a little tub heading from Montserrat to Antigua and he held his course trying to pass in front but the wind was rising and our speed was increasing and soon it was apparent that he would have to change course.  The bastard nipped behind and I am sure he laughed as he came so close that he cut the line and stole my brand new (no barracuda) lure.

No comments: